If your HRIS is in line with the technical requirements outlined below, It is up to you to decide whether such an integration should be set up.
What is an SFTP integration?
Having an SFTP (short for Secure File Transfer Protocol) integration means that your HRIS will automatically create exports of your user-base and send them to Impraise's server where they will be uploaded to our database. This way, your user-base information (e.g. hierarchy chain, team placement, etc.) will be automatically updated on a regular basis, avoiding the change of human errors when updating it manually.
It is up to you to decide whether such an integration should be set up. We recommend setting an SFTP integration if your company has more than 300 active user profiles in Impraise.
Is it necessary to have it to start using Impraise?
It is not mandatory to have such an integration in place in order to start using Impraise. It can be configured at any point in time even after you are well into running reviews. Setting it up will not affect any data or feedback exchange.
What's required from your HRIS
We'd recommend turning to someone from your IT department to ensure that your HRIS can be configured to:
- Generate exports of your user-base in a specific format (see below for more details);
- Send those exports to Impraise's server using SFTP credentials which we will provide you - URL, port, username & password.
Please note: Generating SFTP credentials might take up to 2 weeks.
Specifics of the exported files and how they are processed
The exports your HRIS has to generate have to match the following conditions:
They must be in CSV format. Here is an example of how they should look like. Exports in other formats are not supported;
Note: If you don't have access to Google Sheets, you can find the same example at the bottom of the page.
Personnel IDs for each individual person (profile) in the user-base must be present in the export (see column J and K from the example above);
- These Personal IDs will be used as the unique identifiers of a person and their profile in Impraise, so it is vital that they remain static and don’t change over time;They can contain integers, letters or both (in case only integers are used, they should be treated as text to avoid any conventions e.g. 00123 to 123 and/or vise versa);
Mandatory fields (i.e. columns)and what they refer to:
- name - user's name;
- email - user's email address;
- direct_manager_email - the email address of the user's direct (line) manager;
- external_id - the Personnel ID of the user;
- direct_manager_id - the Personnel ID of the users' direct (line) manager;
- admin - whether or not the user should have admin rights in your Impraise environment. Should be left blank for non-admins or have "TRUE" for admins. If you are not sure who should have admin rights, please consult with your HR department;
Note: The titles of all columns in your export should match exactly they are in the example sheet. In case one or more of the columns in your export does not match the specified format, the user update will fail.
There is no naming convention for the exported files. Any filename will start the import, but only files ending in .CSV will be processed;
Additional details & FAQs
- Q: When can the integration be finalized and turned on?
- A: Updates via SFTP can start running automatically only when each user profile in Impraise has a Personnel ID assigned to it:
If your organization has been using Impraise for a while and there are no Personnel IDs in place yet, we need to add them to every existing profile before the SFTP is turned on. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information;
If your organization has not yet started to use Impriase, Personnel IDs must be included in the initial user upload. Contact your Customer Success Manager to find out how.
- Q: How are new people added to Impriase via SFTP integration?
- A: Newcomers in your company will be automatically added to Impraise if their details are included in the export that's sent to our SFTP server.
- Q: How are people's details updated via SFTP integration?
- A: During the update process, Impraise will compare the current data in the system with the data from the export that's been sent to the SFTP server. If there are changes, in the current information in the system, they will be synchronized with the data in the export.
- Q: Can user profiles be automatically deactivated as well?
- A: Yes - users who are not present in the export will have their profiles deactivated automatically.
- Q: How often should the updates run?
- A: The purpose of setting up SFTP is to have the user-base updated regularly. It is up to you to decide how often that is. Our experience shows a good practice is to set the updates to run daily.
- Q: How much time does an update take?
- A: It depends on the number of user profiles that have to be processed. Usually, it takes around 10-15 minutes for updates to complete.
- Q: Do updates via SFTP affect the performance and reliability of Impraise?
- A: Not at all. These updates run in the background and have no effect on end-users whatsoever.
- Q: Can I track the progress of an update and/or past updates?
- A: Yes - Everyone in your organization who has admin rights can track all user updates.
- Q: What happens if a user update fails or there is an error in the exported file?
- A: We will be notified of the failed update and, if necessary, get in touch with the account manager of your organization.
- Q: How long will the user-base exports be kept on the SFTP server?
- A: Once uploaded, the export files will be deleted immediately;